Salary: from £26,000 – £27,306.60 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based in Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton).
Contract Type: Fixed Term (6 Months)
Closing Date: 5pm 3rd of November 2023
Are you fascinated by the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge, improve your skills and be part of an excellent team.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
Headland Archaeology work on a wide range of exciting archaeological projects of all scales throughout the UK. The role of the survey team is to ensure the smooth flow of project spatial information through the company. We build systems, promote skills and provide resources to make this happen. The Survey Supervisor will play an integral part in implementing Headland’s survey strategy across the business.
Ideally you would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
Your work will primarily involve GPS and total station survey of archaeological sites, including staking out, detailed survey of archaeological remains and data processing and QA checks. You will be expected to work directly with field teams on project work, but will be supported by experienced surveyors in our Technical Services team.
We also have a fleet of Drones within Headland and expect all our surveyors to utilise them, if you are already a qualified pilot that would be advantageous, however full training will also be provided. Other activities will include training our fieldwork team in the use of GPS’s, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting.
As part of the contracting team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across the country. Working away and travelling is a normal part of this role.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
- Carrying out routine survey work
- Processing survey and site data as required
- Presenting survey and site data to the requirements of the Contracting division
- Application of surveying and data management procedures
- Carrying out specialist survey work when required
Development and Support
- Delivering survey, data management and field recording training
- Contributing to research and development into new or alternate survey and data management methods and processes
- Delivering survey and data management technical support
- Communicating regularly with the Technical Services Manager
- Supporting the other activities of the department
Safety, Health, Environment and Quality
- Ensuring survey and site data is secure, and regularly transferred between sites and offices
- Responding quickly to survey and site data quality issues with feedback and other suitable measures
- Care for and provide logistics support for our survey and data equipment fleet, including hire equipment.
Essential Key Skills
- GPS and total station surveying experience
- An understanding of archaeological recording; data tidying and presentation.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical survey issues and challenging working conditions
- Clear, friendly communication in person, phone, email or messaging
- Full clean UK driving licence
- Valid CSCS Card
- Survey data processing using appropriate software
- Survey data presentation using GIS software
- Working knowledge of Photogrammerty
- Working knowledge of Laser Scanning
- CAA Drone authorisation and/or experience
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference TSSS2310 Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.