PROJECT SUPERVISORS (CONTRACTING)
Salary: from £23,279.29 – £26,006.30 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Hereford, Silsoe, Cleckheaton, Edinburgh
Contract Type: Permanent (subject to probationary period)
Closing Date: 29th July 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Are you fascinated by the past and looking to further your career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes, and supervise interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge in managing commercial archaeology, improve your skills and be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.6000 employees and c.105 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit experienced, dedicated, results-driven individuals prepared to be based out of one of our offices. Ideally you would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
You work will primarily involve working on a range of archaeological investigations, evaluations/excavations and supervising plant, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting. Working away and travelling to new places are a normal part of this role.
As part of the project team supervisors will lead small teams of field archaeologists in excavating sites under the guidance of a Project Officer. Supervisors will be responsible for their teams’ progress, supporting their learning and development and quality checking outputs. Supervisors will also be required to work with the wider project team to achieve the aims of the archaeological works and ensure a safe working environment, as well as running small scale projects.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Demonstrable practical experience in commercial archaeology (as a guide at least 12 months expected)
- Experience of watching briefs and/or leading small teams
- Full clean Driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles in UK
- Archaeological field work experience preferably on sites of various periods and types
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person) or you must acquire one
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative
- Embrace inclusion and diversity as a leader
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Competent in reading, writing and speaking the English language
A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject, experience of the archaeological supervision of plant, report writing experience and surveying/GPS experience. It is a plus if you have managed small or medium teams and have experience and understanding of British commercial archaeology, and a SSSTS card and CIfA membership.
Benefits we offer you:
- Accommodation provided for away work
- Cover transport: from the office to site, to and from your away accommodation and between sites.
- Subsistence is paid during the week where eligible.
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Discretionary performance related bonus
- Discretionary annual profit and retention bonus (Terms and conditions apply)
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave pro rata, rising based on service length (including public holidays)
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Paid SSSTS card where it is required
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Constant H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting SUP0722. Postal applications will not be accepted.
For queries regarding the role please email the Fieldwork Delivery Manager, Luke Craddock-Bennett – firstname.lastname@example.org
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.