Salary: from £26,000.00 – £27,306.60 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based at Yorkshire & North office, Cleckheaton, although travel nationwide will be required
Contract Type: Permanent (6 month probationary period)
Closing Date: 5pm on January 26th 2024. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Due to a large volume of work the geophysical survey team at Headland are looking to recruit additional staff. You will be joining a team of experienced geophysicists with over 60 years combined experience.
Do you ever wonder how archaeological sites are located and identified in the first place? Do you want to be at the forefront of the development of geophysical survey techniques in the commercial field? Do you want to join a large team with a range of experience working on nationally important and interesting projects throughout the United Kingdom and the EU?
If so, and you have what it takes, are keen to develop and expand your knowledge and skills in archaeological geophysics, we have an excellent training programme where you will be part of a team who delivers high quality geophysical surveys to a range of clients.
The post also offers you structured mandatory training to either develop you or enhance your existing skills using the latest equipment and technology.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 27 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.15000 employees and c.230 environmentally lead companies.
Headland are looking to recruit career-minded geophysical supervisors with a view to building our team. This is a great opportunity to join a progressive and growing company, with an excellent reputation for delivering high quality archaeological work, which is engaged with a constant stream of exciting archaeological projects.
The posts are predominantly field-based and will involve the survey of sites, using a range of geophysical techniques but primarily magnetometry, of all sizes across the United Kingdom. You will benefit from using the extensive resources available through our training scheme alongside support from other staff to help develop your early career.
Our suite of techniques include:
Low Frequency Electromagnetics
Ground Penetrating Radar
The nature of the surveys varies from small scale projects which may be completed in a day or two to major infrastructure projects which may take several weeks. Virtually all the surveys will involve working away from your office base in West Yorkshire and travelling to new places is a normal part of this role. Weekend working may occasionally be required.
We also work within the EU and a willingness to travel is desirable.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and throughout the training programme.
Key skills requirements
Applicants should have relevant experience in the field and commercial experience would be preferred. However, we will consider candidates from outside the archaeology sector if they have appropriate geophysics skill sets.
We expect applicants to meet the criteria below:
Essential Skills and Qualities:
- Minimum of 12 months experience in commercial geophysics
- A general working knowledge of archaeological geophysics
- A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject
- Good technical awareness – ability to solve problems in the field
- Previous experience of undertaking geophysical survey and/or interpreting data
- Willing to work outdoors in all weather
- A “Can do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Good organisational & communication skills
- High level of use of English language
- Full UK manual driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to work away from home
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person)
- Good organisational and communication skills
- Embrace inclusion and diversity
- Willingness to develop your people skills
- Membership of the CIfA
- Ability to motivate and help coordinate a small team
- An ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Knowledge of MS Office
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting-edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads, cart-based Magnetometers etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference SUPGEO1223. Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, and the trainee programme, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.