Salary: £32,009.02 – £34,104.16 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based in Headland Scotland (Edinburgh), Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton).
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 29th January 5pm
Are you fascinated by the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge, improve your skills and be part of an excellent team.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
Headland Archaeology work on a wide range of exciting archaeological projects of all scales throughout the UK. The role of the GIS team is to ensure the smooth flow of spatial data through the fieldwork stage. We build systems, promote skills and provide resources to make this happen. The Senior GIS Officer will play an integral part in implementing and developing Headland’s GIS strategy across the business. Including providing Archaeological GIS support, outputs and training to the contracting field team and the rest of the company.
You will be self-driven with a positive outlook. You will be experienced in managing a small team of people and have an excellent working knowledge in both ArcGIS and QGIS project management and drawing production works. You must have a good working knowledge of survey systems and construction project design as you will be asked to supervise the compiling and quality controlling of project constraints such as land ownership, services, ecology and access as well as the survey data. You will be a good team worker who learns quickly, can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and drive our team to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
You will be responsible for overseeing project design and working drawings to support our contracting team, as well as overseeing the field survey data for post-excavation work. You will have the opportunity to drive change within the department, develop and apply company procedures, provide training and support to the team and the company, implement and apply data security and processing, quality assurance and data presentation. You will be expected to work with a small team of skilled technical staff and project-based assistants, and provide hands-on site support where extra resources are required. The work will be primarily office-based but may periodically require site-based work providing GIS services to larger projects or assisting other team members. Your work will be managed and supported by the Technical Services Manager (TSM).
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to use existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive Technical Services department we are developing our systems and capabilities constantly; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your work and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
- Managing the Quality Control Checks in PDF creation for the Contracting team
- Overseeing survey processing and site spatial data in coordination with the Senior Surveyor as required
- Providing quality assurance for site and project management data, and GIS deliverables
- Enabling easy access to GIS data for the Contracting team and others
- Managing and streamlining GIS deliverables for field projects
Development and Support
- Supporting sales and project management with contributions to tenders and guidance on GIS and spatial data management issues
- Development and application of GIS procedures with support from the TSM
- Driving research and development into new or alternate GIS and data management methods and processes with oversight from the TSM
- Delivering and coordinating GIS and spatial data management training and technical support to the contracting team
- Supporting the other activities of the Technical Services department
- Contributing to departmental KPIs and other long-term goals
- Ensuring GIS data security
- Supporting and managing the workload of the GIS team
- Liaising with other GIS users in the business to ensure a smooth flow of data
Safety, Health, Environment and Quality
- Responding quickly to data quality issues with feedback and other suitable measures
- Ensuring GIS workflows and procedures are followed
Essential Key Skills
- Experience of managing a small team
- A sound understanding of QGIS and ArcGIS
- Ability to problem solve within the GIS environment
- Experience of providing GIS user support
- Demonstrable understanding of civils project design
- Attention to detail and ability to work to standards
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative to achieve targets
- Good organisational skills
- Embrace inclusion and diversity
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Experience of providing training, feedback and support
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK periodically
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel
- Basic understanding of survey data processing
- Degree in relevant subject
- CSCS card
- Python Programming
- Database management
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference TSSG24 Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.