PROJECT OFFICER (FIELDWORK)
Salary: from £28,200.00 – £30,845.06 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Edinburgh, Hereford, Silsoe, Cleckheaton – but working on sites across the UK
Contract Type: 6 Month with possibility of extension.
Closing Date: 30/06/2023.
Are you fascinated in the past and looking to further your career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes, and supervise interesting projects?
Do you want the opportunity, support and encouragement to prepare reports for the excavations you work on?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge in managing commercial archaeology, improve your skills and be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise.For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit.Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth.Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment.You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence.You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group.You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.6000 employees and c.105 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit up to 8 experienced, dedicated, results-driven individuals, available to start between now and the end of June. You will have at least three years’ experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
Your work will primarily involve conducting a range of archaeological investigations, evaluations/excavations and supervising plant, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting. As part of the fieldwork team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across the UK. We have interesting projects including waterlogged medieval and Roman excavations, IA/RB agricultural and industrial landscapes on linear schemes. Working away and travelling in new places is a normal part of this role.
Our most recent works, which include well preserved IA/RB and Saxon landscapes; medieval and Post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England; prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands; and industrial archaeology in Birmingham illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Accomplished field archaeologist
- Experience in running archaeological projects
- Experience of the archaeological supervision of plant
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Good organisational skills
- Experience in managing small to medium sized teams
- Embrace inclusion and diversity as a leader
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person) or you must acquire one
- Driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles in UK
- Substantial knowledge of MS Office & English language
- Willingness to work away from home
A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject, experience in other specialist areas and surveying/GPS experience are desirable criteria for the role. A SSSTS card, First Aid training and CIfA membership is a plus.
Benefits we offer you:
- Paid accommodation and subsistence when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable (for passengers and driver)
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Paid SSSTS card where is required
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Constant H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- Referral Scheme
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting PO0523FTC. Postal applications will not be accepted.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.