Salary: £28,200 – £30,845.06 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based in Scotland (Edinburgh), Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton).
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 26th February 5pm
Are you fascinated by the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge, improve your skills and be part of an excellent team.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
Headland Archaeology work on a wide range of exciting archaeological projects of all scales throughout the UK. The role of the GIS team is to ensure the smooth flow of spatial data through the fieldwork stage. We build systems, promote skills and provide resources to make this happen. The GIS Officer will play an integral part in implementing Headland’s GIS strategy across the business. Including providing Archaeological GIS support, outputs and training to the contracting field team and the rest of the company.
You will be self driven with a positive outlook. You will be experienced in GIS drawing production work and capable of working to a number of projects at the same time, often with fast turnaround times. You must have a good working knowledge of construction project design as you will be asked to compile and check project constraints such as land ownership, services, ecology and access and adapt our compound and worksite designs around these. You will be a good team worker who learns quickly, can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and help our team to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
You will be responsible for providing project setup and working drawings to support our contracting team, as well as preparing field survey data for post-excavation work. This includes the application of procedures; training and support; data security and processing; quality assurance and data presentation. You will be expected to work as part of a small team of skilled technical staff and project-based assistants, and provide hands-on site support where extra resources are required. The work will be primarily office-based but may periodically require site-based work providing GIS services to larger projects or assisting other team members. Your work will be managed and supported by the Senior GIS Officer and Technical Services Manager.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to use existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive Technical Services department we are developing our systems and capabilities constantly; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your work and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
- Producing GIS project setup for the Contracting team
- Processing survey and spatial data as required
- Presenting archaeological survey and site data to the requirements of the Contracting team
- Producing GIS deliverables
- Producing and submitting GIS archive submissions for field projects
- Carrying out GIS analysis tasks when required
Development and Support
- Enabling easy access to GIS data for the Contracting team and others
- Seeking opportunities to maximise the value of our spatial datasets
- Delivering technical support
- Research and development into new or alternate GIS and data management
methods, workflows and processes
- Supporting the other activities of the Technical Services department
- Communicate regularly with the Senior GIS Officer
- Responding quickly to GIS data quality issues with feedback and other suitable measures
- Delivering GIS and data management training and technical support to the company
- Collaborate with other Headland teams and departments as required
Safety, Health, Environment and Quality
- Providing quality assurance for site and project management spatial data
- Ensure the GIS Lifecycle is followed
- Application of GIS and data management procedures, including GIS data security
Essential Key Skills
- Able to produce high quality layouts in GIS
- Demonstrable understanding of GIS project setup
- Survey data processing
- Attention to detail and ability to work to procedures and standards
- Experience of providing training, feedback and support
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative to achieve targets
- Good organisational skills
- Embrace inclusion and diversity
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK periodically
- Degree in relevant subject
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel
- Advanced QGIS usage
- Python Programming
- Database management
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference TSGO0224 Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, email email@example.com.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.