Salary: £23,000 + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Sites across East Anglia
Contract Type: 6 month fixed-term contract with a view to extension
Closing Date: 27th October 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Are you fascinated by the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
If you have completed your degree and you are looking to expand your knowledge in archaeology and develop your skills, we have an excellent opportunity for you to join a team delivering high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit 10 Entry Level Field Archaeologists, committed, results-driven individuals, available to start immediately. The vacancies we have at present are on a Fixed Term Temporary Contract of 6 months to support our current projects, and will be reviewed before the final month of the contract, with the possibility of extension either with Headland or RSK group.
The posts are predominantly field-based involving the hand excavation, sampling and recording of archaeological features; some lab-based work may also be available. You will benefit from using the extensive resources available through our Learning & Development department alongside support from other site staff to help develop your early career.
The nature of projects we are either currently working on or have in the pipeline mean there are opportunities to gain experience across a wide range of periods and types of sites in a short period. These include LBA-EIA enclosures and burnt mounds, a potential barrow cemetery, roman occupation and medieval edge of settlement. Working away and travelling in new places is a normal part of this role. When conditions allow for staying away, we will provide you with high-quality accommodation and subsistence.
Skills and Qualities:
- A degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject
- Valid CSCS card
- Willing to work outdoors in all weather
- Willing to work away from home
- A “Can do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Good organisational & communication skills
- High level of use of English language
- Membership of the CIfA
- Full Driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Knowledge of MS Office
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.