Salary: from £22,601.25-£24,500 + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: You will be based out of our geophysics hub in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire but working on sites across the UK
Contract Type: 6 month fixed-term contract with a view to extension
Closing Date: 5pm on September 22nd 2023.
Do you ever wonder how archaeological sites are located and identified in the first place? Do you want to be at the forefront of the development of geophysical survey techniques in the commercial field? Do you want to join a large team with a range of experience working on nationally important and interesting projects throughout the United Kingdom and the EU?
If so and have what it takes, are keen to develop and expand your knowledge and skills in archaeological geophysics, we have an excellent training programme where you will be part of a team who delivers high quality geophysical surveys to a range of clients.
The post also offers you structured mandatory training to either develop you or enhance your existing skills using the latest equipment and technology.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 27 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit Assistant Geophysicists, who are committed, results-driven individuals, available to start our geophysical survey training programme immediately. You will be based in our offices in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire.
The posts are predominantly field-based and will involve the survey of sites, using a range of geophysical techniques but primarily magnetometry, of all sizes across the United Kingdom. You will benefit from using the extensive resources available through our training scheme alongside support from other staff to help develop your early career.
Our suite of techniques include:
Low Frequency Electromagnetic
Ground Penetrating Radar
The nature of the surveys varies from small scale projects which may be completed in a day or two to major infrastructure projects which may take several weeks. Virtually all the surveys will involve working away from your office base in West Yorkshire and travelling to new places is a normal part of this role. Weekend working may occasionally be required.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and throughout the training programme.
Skills and Qualities:
- A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject
- Valid CSCS card
- Willing to work outdoors in all weather
- Willing to work away from home
- A “Can do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Good organisational & communication skills
- High level of use of English language
- Full UK driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Membership of the CIfA
- Knowledge of MS Office
Benefits we offer you:
- Accommodation & subsistence when working away from your office base
- Paid travel time when applicable
- Referral Scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length (including public holidays)
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership and CSCS card (we will pay for cost of successful test and card on production of a receipt)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference AGEO2023. Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, and the trainee programme, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.