Salary: from £23,400 – £24,500 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Location: Sites across East Anglia
Contract Type: fixed-term contract – Mar 2023 (possibility of extension)
Closing Date: 5pm on 27th October 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Are you fascinated in the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge in archaeology, improve your skills and be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With three offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit up to 20 enthusiastic, committed, results-driven individuals, available to start immediately. Ideally you would have at least three months’ experience in UK commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience. The Project Archaeologist vacancies we have at present are on a Fixed Term Temporary Contract of 6 months to support our current projects, and will be reviewed before the final month of the contract, with the possibility of extension either with Headland or RSK group.
You work will primarily involve conducting a range of archaeological evaluations and excavations as well as office-based tasks. As part of the fieldwork team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across central, southern, and eastern England. We have interesting projects including LBA-EIA enclosures and burnt mounds, a potential barrow cemetery, roman occupation and medieval edge of settlement. Working away and travelling in new places is a normal part of this role. When conditions allow for staying away, we will provide you with high-quality accommodation and subsistence.
Our most recent works; which include well preserved IA/RB and Saxon landscapes, medieval and Post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England, prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands, industrial archaeology in Birmingham; illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Genuine interest in archaeology
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Up to date CSCS card (ideally Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person)
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Good time management and able to work to deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Substantial knowledge of MS Office & English language
A degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject, some type of archaeological fieldwork experience, and membership of the CIfA are highly desirable criteria for the role. Driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles is a plus.
Benefits we offer you:
- Competitive paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid accommodation when applicable
- Use of cutting edge technology on site, e.g. paperless systems, iPads etc.
- Ongoing regular training in various areas e.g. Health & Safety, Technical areas and Transferable skills
- Time off in lieu for time worked above standard hours or overtime paid
- Annual profit discretionary bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- Monthly clothing allowance
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Life Assurance Policy, insuring you 4 times your annual salary, after a year with Headland
- Regular performance, wellbeing & professional development check-ins
- Referral scheme with generous fee
- A support group of 30+ Mental Health First Aiders
- Have your voice heard by our staff representatives
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership discount, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Being part of RSK Group
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference A0823. Postal applications will not be accepted.
For queries regarding the role, email email@example.com.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.