Salary: £23,279.29 – £26,006.29 depending on experience + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Based in Headland Midlands & West (Hereford), South & East (Silsoe) or Yorkshire & North (Cleckheaton).
Contract Type: Fixed term (6 months)
Closing Date: 5pm on the 3rd March 2023.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.3500 employees and c.80 environmentally lead companies.
We have a busy fieldwork schedule and are seeking keen people with site surveying experience to help us deliver our projects. We are looking to recruit experienced, dedicated, results-driven individuals. Ideally you would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology, or relevant European commercial experience.
Your work will primarily involve GPS and total station survey of archaeological sites, including staking out, detailed survey of archaeological remains and data processing. You will be expected to work directly with field teams on project work, but will be supported by experienced surveyors in our Technical Services team. Prior experience of survey data processing, GIS, photogrammetry and UAV’s will be valuable.
You may also be asked to undertake other archaeological fieldwork, so site experience is beneficial. We also have a fleet of Drones within Headland and expect all of our surveyors to utilise them, if you are already a qualified pilot that would be advantageous, however full training will also be provided. Other activities will include training our fieldwork team in the use of GPS’s, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting.
As part of the contracting team you will get involved in several large and exciting projects across the country. Working away and travelling is a normal part of this role.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
As a guide, we are looking for people with a minimum of 1 year experience in British commercial archaeology (equivalent technical or related experience considered).
You must meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience with GPS and/or total station surveying – Trimble preferred but training will be provided
- Experience of processing survey data
- Examples of previous metric survey work
- Working knowledge of GIS
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Up to date CSCS card (Academically Qualified Person or Professionally Qualified Person) or you must acquire one
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK
- Abiltiy to use Office 365
- Attention to detail
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and use your own initiative
- Embrace inclusion and diversity as a leader
- Willingness to develop your people skills and attend mental health awareness course
- Substantial knowledge of English language
Desirable: A Degree in Archaeology, or in a relevant subject; working knowledge of photogrammetry, UAV experience. A SSSTS card, First Aid training and CIfA membership is a plus.
Benefits we offer you:
- Paid accommodation where applicable
- Monthly clothing allowance
- Paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Annual profit discretionary bonus and performance-related bonus schemes
- Time off in lieu, or pay for time worked above standard hours
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Paid SSSTS card where required
- Constant H&S training
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership and CSCS card
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Finder’s fee for new employees you introduce to us
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting TECHSS0323. Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Katie-Morag Hutton (email@example.com).
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.