SENIOR ARCHAEOLOGIST (FIELDWORK)
Salary: from £32,009.02 – £34,104.16 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Edinburgh, Hereford, Cleckheaton and Silsoe – but working on sites across the UK
Closing Date: 31/08/2023.
Are you fascinated by the past and looking to further your career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes, and supervise interesting projects?
Do you want the opportunity, support and encouragement to prepare reports for the excavations you work on?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge in managing commercial archaeology, improve your skills and be part of a team who delivers high quality archaeological work.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.170 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking for candidates who are self driven with a positive outlook and good understanding of British Archaeology. You will be very experienced in running archaeological sites and capable of overseeing a number of field and post excavation projects at the same time. You will be a good team worker who can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and motivate your teams to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
The position will involve the management of field teams on large-scale infrastructure projects and assisting the project management team with the preparation of tenders and the running of office-based projects.
As a commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop your strengths. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and promotion. With a proactive post-excavation department we are producing a growing number of monographs and other peer reviewed publications every year; our dedicated training team (CIfA accredited) will help support your projects and RSK provides a wealth of opportunity to broaden the range and nature of the experience enjoyed by our staff.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Proven experience in British commercial archaeology
- Experience in having sole responsibility for archaeological projects of significant scale including planning logistics and co-ordinating sub-contractors.
- Being able to support managers in their duties and assist with overseeing projects, producing paperwork and providing input to tenders
- Experience and understanding of UK commercial archaeology and planning legislation
- Full clean UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Willingness to travel and work on projects across the UK
- Degree level education or higher in a relevant subject
- A demonstrable portfolio of reports
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to use own initiative to achieve targets
- Valid CSCS card
A publication track-record, SSSTS/SMSTS and CIfA membership are desirable criteria.
Benefits we offer you:
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Discretionary annual profit bonus & performance-related bonus schemes (Terms and conditions apply)
- Monthly clothing allowance (when applicable)
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length (including public holidays)
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Referral Scheme
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Regular H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
- SMSTS training where required
- Leadership and management training and workshops
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting SENARC0523
Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Luke Craddock-Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org).