PROJECT SUPERVISORS (FIELDWORK)
Salary: from £26,000.00 – £27,306.60 (depending on experience) + generous benefits package.
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Edinburgh, Hereford, Silsoe, Cleckheaton – but working on sites across the UK
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 30/09/23
Are you fascinated by the past and looking for a career in commercial archaeology? Do you want to be part of big infrastructure schemes and work on interesting projects?
This is an excellent opportunity, if you are looking to expand your knowledge, improve your skills and be part of an excellent team.
Why Should You Apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.12000 employees and c.200 environmentally lead companies.
We are looking to recruit up to 5 confident, dedicated archaeologists available to start as soon as possible. You would have reasonable experience in British commercial archaeology and be willing to work away on projects across the UK.
Your work will primarily involve conducting a range of archaeological investigations, evaluations/excavations and supervising plant, as well as office-based research, analysis, and reporting.
When working on projects over 1 hour travel time from your chosen office accommodation will be provided.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific archaeological and other skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
- Excavation and recording of archaeological features when required
- Supervision of smaller teams or areas within a larger site
- Surveying of archaeological sites/features using dGPS
- Machine watching
- Undertaking watching briefs independently with regular check-ins/remote oversight from Project Manager
- Taking an active role in maintaining high safety standards on site
- Ensuring the quality of archaeological recording within your team (record checking)
- Data entry tasks
- Contributing towards report production
- Mentoring and coaching site assistants
Essential Key Skills
- Broad range of experience in commercial archaeology on various types/periods of site (minimum of 12 months)
- Accomplished field archaeologist
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Evidence of performing some elements of the role before – either supervising others on site, carrying out watching briefs/working independently
- Full clean driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles in the UK
- Comprehensive understanding of H&S procedures and ability to demonstrate implementation on site
- Proactive approach to ensuring that personal training record is up to date.
- Up to date CSCS card (AQP or PQP)
- Good organisational & communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure using your own initiative
- Embrace inclusion and diversity as a leader
- Substantial knowledge of MS Office and English language
- CIfA membership
- Degree in Archaeology or related subject
- SHEQ accreditations (Asbestos Awareness, Cat & Genny, 4×4, Confined Spaces, Banksman, First Aid, SSSTS)
- Report writing experience
Benefits we offer you:
- Paid subsistence and accommodation when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable (for passengers and driver)
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Discretionary annual profit bonus & performance-related bonus schemes (Terms and conditions apply)
- Monthly clothing allowance (when applicable)
- 28 days annual leave, rising based on service length (including public holidays)
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Referral Scheme
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Regular H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
Send CV and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference FWSup0923. Please state which office you are applying for. Postal applications will not be accepted. For queries regarding the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.