POST-EXCAVATION PROJECT MANAGER (PXM23)
Salary: from £35,617.31 to £42,775.69 (depending on experience and level of expertise) + generous benefits package
Hours: Full time, 37.5h/week
Locations: Silsoe (Beds), Edinburgh, Hereford or Cleckheaton (Leeds) (with opportunities for some home working)
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 5pm on 13th June 2023 (Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible)
Headland Archaeology is offering an excellent opportunity for an experienced manager to join our post-excavation team.
Why should you apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise. For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit. Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth. Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment. You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence. You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group. You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.10,000 employees and c.130 environmentally led companies.
Our most recent works; which include well preserved Iron Age, Roman and Saxon landscapes, medieval and post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England, prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands, industrial archaeology in Birmingham; illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific relevant skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
We are looking to appoint a self-driven, enthusiastic individual with experience of post-excavation project management within a commercial environment and an excellent understanding of British Archaeology. You will manage all stages of post-excavation work on a variety of new and backlog projects at all scales (including large infrastructure projects), coordinate specialist work, edit reports and undertake high level academic research for projects as appropriate. You should also be able to sell our services to new clients and help develop existing commercial relationships. You will be a good team worker who can promote new ideas and new ways of working, and motivate your teams to deliver projects to programme and to budget.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the post-excavation stages of a number of concurrent projects, including full financial responsibility and meeting deadlines.
- Line managing post-excavation staff and managing the work of others on assigned projects.
- Working with field teams and their managers to integrate fieldwork with Post-excavation tasks and deliverables
- Contributing to reports, particularly academic content.
- Developing Research, Heritage and/or Outreach strategies for projects as appropriate.
- Providing quotations for all aspects of post-excavation work and undertaking tenders.
- Editing, copy-editing and proofreading of grey literature and published reports.
- Adhering to and promoting company procedures for post-excavation work as outlined within the current post-excavation guidelines and helping to create new company guidance and procedures in post-excavation work.
- Ability to step up and support the department manager
- Undertaking other tasks appropriate to your skills and knowledge. This may include fieldwork project management.
You must have the following essential criteria:
- Demonstrable/Extensive knowledge of post-excavations procedures and techniques
- Excellent organisational abilities
- Experience/understanding of project finances and reporting
- Demonstrable publication record
- Postgraduate level education in a relevant subject
- Academic expertise in a particular period or other relevant specialism
- Experience of archaeological fieldwork
- Copy-editing and proofreading experience
- Having a clear and concise writing style that can be applied across a range of reports
- Strong IT skills, including GIS, databases and MS Office
- CIfA membership at MCIfA level
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Excellent initiative and strong decision-making skills
- Full UK driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Be passionate, motivated and excited about what you do!
Benefits we offer you:
- Relocation package
- SMSTS training where required
- H&S training
- 33 days annual leave, rising based on service length (including bank holidays)
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Discretionary annual profit bonus & performance-related bonus schemes (Terms and conditions apply)
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- Health support scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
Visit our ‘why join Headland’ for more detail on working for Headland Archaeology.
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV and covering letter to Alex Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference PXM23. Postal applications will not be accepted. Informal inquiries concerning the role can be made to Alex Smith, Head of Post-excavation – email@example.com.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Your application must contain the names and contact details of at least two referees. Details of references should include their name, relationship to the applicant, postal address, email address and phone number.
BAJR Grade 6