Headland Archaeology in One of our offices in Edinburgh, Leeds, Silsoe or Hereford (with opportunities for some homeworking)
£26,000 – £27,306.60 (depending on experience)
Permanent full time
Apply before: 5pm on 13th June 2023
Headland Archaeology is offering an excellent opportunity for a conscientious and enthusiastic person to join our Graphics Team.
Why should you apply?
We are a privately owned archaeological business, part of the RSK Group, a leader in integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services. We provide heritage services to the development and construction sectors in UK and across the world. With four offices in England and one in Scotland, we offer our employees:
- Unique knowledge and expertise.For more than 20 years, Headland has provided not only business-focused archaeology but also people-focused business. We are highly respected within our industry for our achievements in innovation, tailor-made development coaching and training, and our expertise in commercial archaeology.
- Strong pioneering spirit.Our corporate culture is characterised by a healthy appetite for originality and development.
- Stable company with excellent growth.Over the years, we have demonstrated steady, positive economic development and formed successful partnerships.
- Good work environment.You will be surrounded by colleagues who are pleasant, professional, and enthusiastic about their work.
- Opportunity to influence.You get to work in an open climate, close to decision makers and with the possibility of making a difference.
- Part of RSK group.You will have further opportunities to become involved in nationally and internationally prominent projects with exciting prospects for career development. The group has c.8000 employees and c.120 environmentally led companies.
Our most recent works; which include well preserved Iron Age, Roman and Saxon landscapes, medieval and post-medieval industrial sites in eastern England, prehistoric landscapes on the southern chalklands, industrial archaeology in Birmingham; illustrate the wide range of projects we have been commissioned to deliver.
In Headland we are proud of our people. We will support you to your meet your goals and train you in specific relevant skills to feel confident and succeed in your role.
We are seeking a self-motivated, enthusiastic archaeological Illustrator with a passion for creative work to join our excellent in-house Graphics Team. The successful candidate will receive support in developing existing skills and broadening their knowledge and will be encouraged to explore innovative methods and specialisms.
The role we are offering is varied and you will work on everything from mapping, site illustrations for grey literature reports and publications, finds illustration, artist’s impressions, image retouching, photography, typesetting and advertising across print and digital formats.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Creation of technically correct artwork, implementing brand guidelines and styles to layouts for print and digital output.
- Creation of graphics to illustrate reports by using a mix of Adobe CC, QGIS, DraftSight, AgiSoft PhotoScan and other software. Working with site data such as survey plans, photographs, historical maps, geotechnical and topographical information.
- Creation of illustrations for publications, including artefact drawings and photographs, site interpretation plans and reconstructions.
- Contribute ideas that will maintain and improve the quality of the graphics output at Headland.
- Design marketing materials for print and digital media.
- Provide general graphic support and guidance to the wider team.
- Excellent time management and ability to work to a brief within budget and to tight deadline.
- Creative problem-solving. Ability to handle multiple and competing work priorities/demands. Confident in decision making.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Great attention to detail and ability to produce highly accurate work.
- Responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
- Must have a good working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), GIS software (QGIS or ESRI ArcGIS) and in one or more of the following software (or similar): AutoCAD, DraftSight or other computer-aided design packages, AgiSoft Photoscan, SketchUp, Blender, and open to learning new graphics packages.
- Able to work in a team and independently when required and demonstrate a professional approach to work, colleagues, other professionals and clients.
- Good organizational skills
- 3D modelling.
- Expertise in archaeological reconstruction drawings.
- Photography and image manipulation (small finds and on site photography). Experience and interest in photogrammetry would be desirable.
- Show demonstratable good composition and layout skills (typesetting), experience creating promotional materials (design)for print and web and community engagement.
- The ability to capture and edit video.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists, including the GAG special interest group.
- Full UK driving licence
Benefits we offer you:
- Relocation package
- Paid subsistence when applicable
- Paid travel time when applicable
- Time off in lieu or you will be paid for time worked above standard hours
- Discretionary annual profit bonus & performance-related bonus schemes
- 28 days annual leave (including bank holidays) rising based on service length
- 5%-6% employer contribution to pension scheme
- Income Protection Policy, after a year with Headland
- Health support scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice on finance, mental health etc)
- Paid CIfA membership, CSCS card
- Leadership and management training and workshops
- H&S training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra annual leave purchase scheme
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
Visit our ‘why join Headland’ for more detail on working for Headland Archaeology.
How to apply
You must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to your commencement.
Send CV, covering letter, including a link to your portfolio (which is an essential requirement for consideration), and details of two references to Beata Wieczorek-Oleksy at email@example.com quoting reference ARCHILL23
Postal applications will not be accepted. Details of references should include their name, relationship to the applicant, postal address, email address and phone number.
Headland is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.